Monday, April 19, 2010

What I've Been Up To...

So I haven't been updating my blog with any consistency of late. My bad. School is in full swing, and I'm getting ready to go back to Urbino. Here are some things I've been working on. I'll start with the most recent stuff and move backwards.

Last Saturday I got to shoot the San Jose Earthquakes game with the lovely Dani Vernon for The Bay Soccer blog. Soccer is known as the beautiful game, and I can't dispute that. But for most of the game, the most exciting stuff was happening behind goalie, Joe Cannon...


The Quakes Ultras (more formally known as the 1906 Ultras). For those that don't know what an Ultra is, it is synonymous with soccer hooligans. These aren't your everyday casual sports fans. This group of fans knows that their team is the best in the world. Period. If you want to tell them differently, I hope you enjoy the taste of your own blood. The Ultras were chanting full force watching the Quakes roll over the New England Revolution 2-0. Check out some of their chants and other pictures here on their site. I can only dream of having this kind of support for the Sharks. A large group of 1906 were at one Sharks game I was at. I think it goes without saying that that was one of the most rocking nights in the Tank all season.







The view from the press box after the game at Buck Shaw stadium at Santa Clara University. Shooting professional sports is fun. Damn fun. I hope I get another chance at it. Next time I'll hopefully be set up with the proper gear. And maybe, JUST maybe, someday I'll be sitting behind the glass at The Tank shooting the Sharkies.

This guy is the best part about the house I live in. My grandfather hunted this guy down when I was a baby. It's pretty cool having something that reminds me of my childhood, and him, hanging in my house. Playing around with a spot light grid and a strip light.



This is Gabrielle. One of my oldest and closest friends. Our friendship is not your typical friendship. We often go months without talking. But when we get together, it's as if we call each other everyday. She agreed to help me out with an assignment for class.


Deciding on wardrobe.


The setup.


Here is a shot from the series.


My one and only attempt at product/still life photography. I wanted to shoot something representing my lifestyle. I have a long way to go to perfect this kind of photography. But hey, practice makes perfect.


I don't think I want to add any context to this photo.


It was was WAAAAAAAAAAAY too beautiful in San Francisco this day. So after a tasty lunch at Rosamunde in the Mission, we (and by we I mean Dani) climbed trees.


Another one of my oldest and closest friends. Let me start off by saying, I hate this guy. Why? Because he is so damn good at everything. He is an amazing: musician, singer, actor, photographer, artist, licensed massager (apparently the word "masseuse" is only used for women), drink maker and magician. And the worst part of all of this? He is as humble as they come. A real son of a bitch right? In all seriousness, if you like fantastic portraiture, check out his site.

Taking a history of photography class has given me a much greater appreciation for the mundane. The old masters took something dull, and made it something great. I guess their greatness was some inspiration for this photo.


Another close friend works here. We visited him at work to see a movie he and a group of my buddies made. If you can't figure out where I was based on this, you seriously need to culture yourself.


I had a good friend visit allllllllllllll the way from Sicily in February. She was also nice enough to help me with a class assignment.


My house has the most random window in the hallway. I don't know why it's there, I don't know what it's for. But Jesus Christ, it makes for some of the most beautiful window light I have ever seen.


Finally, Panda. He helped me out with a fresnel lighting assignment. Inspiration taken from this.


That's all for now folks. I have to throw in one last picture. Three Generations of Burry Men by Dani Vernon 2010


P.S.
go sharks.

ADDITION
A group of us went to the Golden Gate Fields horse track to see the national weiner dog races. It was the most adorably awesome thing I have ever seen. And the mascot from my favorite fast food joint was there. Great day.



This little guy ran so fast, he ran right out of his numbered bib.


Also managed to make it all the way to the finish line.


You had a long day. Take a load off, dog.


Sometimes things just fall into place. It was funny waking up to this the next morning.

Alright, this really is all for now. From cameras with love...



No comments:

Post a Comment